Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge offers a variety of opportunities to explore and enjoy the great outdoors from sunrise to sunset every day. You can observe and photograph wildlife, go fishing, or during the season, hunt white-tailed deer.
Suggested Hiking/Biking Trips:
All trips begin and end at the parking area half a mile from the refuge entrance. Distances measure round-trip. Estimated times based on a leisurely walking pace, allowing for periodic stops to observe wildlife.
– Ibis Pond: 1.2 miles; 1 hour, 30 minutes.
– Shell Point: 4.6 miles; 4 hours, 15 minutes.
– Starr Pond: 2.0 miles; 2 hours, 30 minutes.
– Osprey Pond: 3.0 miles; 3 hours.
– Nini Chapin and Barker Ponds: 3.6 miles; 3 hours, 30 minutes.
– Bull Point: 5.0 miles; 5 hours.
– Dick Point: 7.4 miles; 6 hours, 30 minutes.
– Clubhouse Pond: 6.2 miles; 5 hours, 30 minutes.
– White Point: 7.8 miles; 7 hours.
- No freshwater fishing allowed.
- Saltwater fishing and shellfishing permitted in waters adjacent to the refuge.
- Absolutely no feeding, capturing, or hunting wildlife, unless authorized by permit.
- All of the refuge’s archeological and natural resources are protected.
- No antique and artifact hunting allowed.
- Do not pick or cut vegetation.
- No dogs, cats and other pets permitted on the refuge.
- Some areas closed seasonally to protect wildlife from human disturbance.
- Drinking water and restrooms are not available on the island.
- There are no shelters for visitor protection from the sun or inclement weather.
- We maintain the graveled road from the parking area to Clubhouse Pond, but in the summer, overgrowth on the grass trails may conceal snakes, poison ivy or stinging insects. An occasional alligator may be encountered near any pond or on the adjacent trails. Do not molest this reptile in any way. We urge hikers to stay on the paths at all times. No off-road or off-trail biking in the refuge.
- Bicyclists should be cautious of loose gravel, potholes, and puddles.
For questions regarding specific refuge activities, such as hunting, contact: