Many visitors to Hilton Head Island have questions about the Island. Show your friends and family that you know some facts about our Island. Our Chamber of Commerce is another source of facts. Below are some fun facts:
- We do have a bridge from the mainland to the Island. You do not have to come across in a boat.
- There is an airport on Hilton Head Island and a larger one in neighboring Savannah.
- We do have 12 miles of wide, hard-packed beaches with lots of public access areas. The tide levels change as much as 6-8 feet every 6 hours.
- The Island encompasses 42 square miles of semi-tropical landscape.
- Hilton Head Island provides over 50 miles of public pathways and nature trails.
- The Island was Incorporated into the Town of Hilton Head Island in 1983.
- Population, approximately 39,000.
- Median age, 46.
Plan Your Stay
- There are 24 on-island championship golf courses, and over 40 courses in the Hilton Head Island – Bluffton area for you to play. More than one million rounds of golf are played annually.
- We do have Super Markets. You do not have to bring your own food, PLUS we even have 2 large outlet centers!
- We do have electricity, service provided by Palmetto Electric Cooperative, Inc. & South Carolina Electric & Gas.
- And, as you know, we do have Hilton Head Island & Bluffton Web Sites on the Internet.
- We do have 300 courts in all three Grand Slam surfaces, including grass on-island tennis courts for you to play.
- The $10,000,000 Self Family Arts Center opened in March, 1996, in the center of Hilton Head Island. The Center combines the latest facilities for both visual and performing arts. The 44,000 square foot facility includes the 350 seat Elizabeth Wallace Theater for major dramas, comedies and musicals, as well as the 125 seat Studio Theater for workshop productions. In addition, the facility includes the Walter Greer Art Gallery, with 2,300 square feet of exhibit space, meeting and administrative space and a fine arts studio-classroom. In October 2002, the Center was renamed to the “Arts Center of Coastal Carolina.”
- Hilton Head Island average daytime temperature is a mild 70 degrees, warmed year-round by the Gulf Stream.