The Town of Hilton Head Island provides over 50 miles of public pathways and nature trails for the enjoyment of pedestrians and cyclists.
Our map also shows the existing public pathways. Many kiosks are located along the pathways with an Island-wide map on one side, and a localized map of the area on the other.
Rules For The Road
- Please obey all traffic signals and pathway markings. Stop signs must be obeyed for safety. Bicycles are vehicles and must obey SC traffic laws.
- Travel the pathways at speeds that allow for the safety of pedestrians and other users.
- Never ride within the roadway against traffic. State law requires bicycles to drive like all other vehicles.
- Please do not ride on roads where a pathway is available.
- Please ride single file and keep a safe distance from other bicyclists.
- Watch out for motorists! Motorists must yield to pedestrians and bicyclists within marked crossings, but they may not see you.
- Please yield to pedestrians. When resting or stopped, please move off the pathway.
Most sections of the pathways are not illuminated.
- If you must bike at night, please wear light-colored clothing or carry a flashlight. Bicycles must have a red rear reflector and a headlight when biking at night.
- When approaching slower pathway users from behind, please sound your warning device, or call out, “Passing on your left.” Always pass on the left.
- Bicyclists should always wear a helmet, especially children 12 and under.
- Make eye contact and use hand signals. Assume other bicyclists and motorists don’t see you. Hand signals tell motorists and other path users what you intend to do and will ensure everyone’s safe enjoyment of the pathways.
- Be courteous, alert and predictable.
- White Stripe & Stop Sign – Road crossing. Stop and look for motorists.
- Yellow Center Line – Two-way traffic. Keep to the right.
- Several Ladder Hatching Stripes – Crosswalk.
Please lock your bicycle when not in use! Bicycle thefts are preventable.
Information and map courtesy of The Town of Hilton Head Island.
(843) 341-4600 • hiltonheadislandsc.gov.