Courtesy of The Salty Dog Cafe, South Beach Marina Village, Hilton Head Island, 843-363-2198.
Crab Cakes Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 6 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Sherry Wine
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/3 Cup Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Celery Seed
- 1/4 Cup Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Horseradish
- 1 Tablespoon Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 Tablespoon White Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Mustard
- 1 1/4 Cup Ritz Cracker Crumbs, Finely Ground
- 1/4 Cup Parsley, Finely Chopped
- 2 Lbs. Jumbo Lump Crab, Shells Removed
- 1 Lb. Special/Blackfin Crab, Shells Removed
- Mix mayonnaise, eggs, sherry, lemon juice, Worcestershire, Old Bay, celery seed, Dijon, horseradish, Cajun, pepper and dry mustard in large bowl or commercial mixer until thoroughly blended.
- In a separate bowl, place crab meat and parsley. Add mixture from previous step over meat and add Ritz cracker crumbs. Gently, with a rubber spatula, fold mixture until crumbs are mixed with liquid base, being extremely careful to not break apart lumps of crab meat.
- Let stand for 1 hour to allow cracker crumbs to absorb excess moisture.
- Scoop with ice cream scooper or form crab cakes by hand. Crab cakes vary in size, from no bigger than a small cookie to larger than a hamburger. This recipe makes 16, 4 ounce crab cakes.
- Crab cakes can be sautéed in a little butter in a non-stick pan (preferred), broiled, baked or breaded and deep fried.
- Serve with lemon wedges and caper Dijonaise. Other condiments such as a remoulade, tartar sauce, mustard, cocktail sauce, ketchup, or Worcestershire sauce can be substituted.
Caper Dijonaise Ingredients:
- 2 Cups Mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Tarragon Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Capers, Drained
- 3 Tablespoons Cornischons (Dill Gherkins), Drained
- 2 Tablespoons Parsley
- 2 Tablespoons A1 Sauce
- Pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
Mix all ingredients in food processor.