HELP US RAISE $50,000 IN “SOUND RESEARCH” FUNDS SIMPLY BY EXPLORING THE AREA’S GREATEST BEACHES, TRAILS & WATERWAYS!
HOW IT WORKS
Register a team. Commit to walking, running, biking or paddling in the Port Royal Sound watershed. Invite friends and family to join or support your effort. Once registered, you will receive tools to help recruit team members and ask for donations, along with tips to help make your team successful.
IT’S EASY AS 1, 2, 3…
- SIGN UP: Registration is free! Register your team below!
- EXPLORE: Looking for new places to visit? Check out these great destinations in the watershed.
- SHARE: Share fun photos! Miles traveled, places visited and money raised using #AroundTheSound. Not on social media? Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll share them for you!
AROUND THE SOUND: TRAILS AND KAYAKING TIPS
BEAUFORT / PORT ROYAL
- Spanish Moss Trail: The Lowcountry’s ‘Rails to Trails’ is a 10-mile greenway with 12-foot wide, paved paths dedicated to those who want to walk, run, bike, fish, skate, scoot or stroll ‒ offering spectacular Lowcountry water and marsh views, coastal wildlife viewing, and historic points of interest. www.spanishmosstrail.com/services.
- Port Royal Cypress Wetlands and Rookery & The Sands: This .56-mile trail around the wetland is a combination of boardwalk, paved trail, and roadside pedestrian and bike trail. A great place to birdwatch, it is also close to the Sands Beach where you can launch kayaks and look for shark teeth. http://www.portroyal.org/250/Cypress-Wetlands-Rookery-and-Amphitheate, http://www.portroyal.org/253/Sands-Beach-Traveling-Buoy-and-Live-Oaks.
- Hunting Island State Park: 5 miles of beaches, 8 miles of hiking/biking trails, thousands of acres of marsh and maritime forest, a saltwater lagoon and ocean inlet are all part of the park’s natural allure. https://southcarolinaparks.com/hunting-island.
- Crystal Lake and other Beaufort County Passive Parks: These parks and facilities were purchased by Beaufort County through the Rural and Critical Lands Preservation Program. https://www.beaufortcountysc.gov/planning/passive-parks/Passive%20Parks%20and%20Facilities.html.
- Victoria Bluff Heritage Preserve: 4 miles of easy walking, crisscrossing trails and firebreaks as you discover the botanical wonders of this preserve. https://www.sctrails.net/trails/trail/victoria-bluff-heritage-preserve.
- New River Linear Trail – Jasper County: Hardwood forest, rice fields. After about 2.5 miles you arrive at the New River, Beaufort County’s only freshwater river, then the route takes you through the Great Swamp. https://www.sctrails.net/trails/trail/new-river.
HILTON HEAD ISLAND
- Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge: Explore over 14 miles of incredible hiking and bicycling trails. Great for birders! https://www.hiltonhead.com/visit-the-pinckney-island-national-wildlife-refuge/.
- Sea Pines Forest Preserve: A 605 acre preserve with approximately 2 miles of walking trails and 6 miles of multi-purpose trails. The preserve has a 4,000-year-old Indian shell ring, a wild flower meadow with dozens of flower varieties, and a bountiful bird habitat. https://www.hiltonhead.com/sightings-sea-pines-forest-preserve/.
- Audubon – Newhall Preserve: Explore walking trails. www.hiltonheadaudubon.org/audubon-newhall-preserve/.
- Honey Horn: Property includes a mile long shell pathway, educational boardwalks and butterfly enclosure. www.coastaldiscovery.org.
- Jarvis Creek Park: 53 acre park includes a one mile loop around a pond. www.hiltonheadislandsc.gov/ourisland/Parks/parksandfacdetails.cfm?FacilityID=14.
- Fish Haul Creek Park: Trails take visitors from Historic Mitchelville Freedom Park (www.exploremitchelville.org/) through the maritime forest to the beach. Marsh, observation deck and lots of wildlife. https://www.hiltonhead.com/fish-haul-beach-park/.
- Hilton Head Island public beach access: https://www.hiltonhead.com/beaches/beach-access-points-hilton-head-2/.
- Public bike pathways: Don’t forget to make your way to the public beaches at low tide to ride your bike along 12-miles of coastline for a genuinely unforgettable Lowcountry experience. https://www.hiltonheadisland.com/recreational-pathways-hilton-head-island.
- Sergeant Jasper Park – Jasper County: The park is 321-acres and offers a variety of things to do such as biking, walking trails, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, birdwatching. https://www.jaspercountysc.gov/departments/departments-i-w/sgt-jasper-park#ad-image-1.