HILTON HEAD INTERNATIONAL PIANO COMPETITION 2023 TAKES OVER THE LOWCOUNTRY FROM MARCH 13 – 18
This year’s young artist competition showcases 20 pianists—ages 13-17—from six countries
The Hilton Head International Piano Competition (HHIPC) will present its 26th competition from March 13 through March 18, 2023, featuring a field of 20 young artists ranging in age from 13 – 17. This elite group of international pianists was selected from 107 applicants from 16 countries by a prominent jury of internationally renowned pianists and pedagogies. The competitors are listed alphabetically here, with citizenship and age:
- Riko Ando, Japan (15)
- David Choi, United States/ South Korea (15)
- William Ge, United States (15)
- Sawako Harada, Japan (15)
- Donghwi Kang, South Korea (15)
- Andrew Li, Canada / Hong Kong (15)
- Caden Lin, United States (15)
- Zarin Mehta, United States (15)
- Takuma Onodera, Japan (17)
- Xinran Shi, United States (13)
- Rebekah Yinuo Tan, China (16)
- Kevin Wang, Canada (17)
- Keyi Wang, China (15)
- Zhonghua Wei, China (14)
- Ruby Wu, Hong Kong (16)
- Lindsey Yang, United States (17)
- Kyle Yeung, United States (15)
- Nathaniel Zhang, United States (15)
- Philina Zhang, United States (16)
- Chengyao Zhou, China (15)
The pianists will perform two preliminary rounds at St. Luke’s Anglican Church from Monday, March 13 through Thursday, March 16, 2023 (between 1:30 and 9:30 pm each day), featuring two different recital programs by each competitor.
The 2023 jury panel of five eminent international piano professionals will select five finalists on Thursday evening, each of whom will then perform a concerto movement with the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra conducted by John Morris Russell on Saturday, March 18, 2023, at First Presbyterian Church. (7:00 pm).
Late Saturday evening, the judges will select the winners, who will then be announced on stage to conclude the event. These pianists are competing for a total of $22,000 cash prizes, and the first prize winner will be invited to perform a concerto with the Hilton Head Symphony Orchestra and Maestro John Morris Russell during the 2023-24 concert season.
Tickets for all rounds of the competition are on sale now through the HHIPC website . More information and tickets can also be obtained by calling the box office at 843-842-2055.