By Doug Weaver, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort
Enjoy the game that everybody can play together.
My friend, Leo Luken, played golf at the age of 94 and was able to score his age or better. Incredibly, Leo didn’t start playing golf until age 45.
Every day, I teach three-year-olds how to tee the ball up, make putts and swing while singing a song. I really enjoy teaching the teenager who isn’t built for football or basketball and wants to enjoy a sport of his own.
The game of golf has something for you, regardless of your age or your abilities. One of the best things about golf is that it’s a sport that everyone can enjoy together.
Here are a few highlights of classes we offer at Palmetto Dunes that can help you improve your game and spend time on the green with your family and friends:
Free Golf Clinic and Exhibition
- Every Monday from 4-5 p.m., enjoy an interactive, hands-on, educational and fun experience. Volunteer for a free brief lesson or win a prize. Beneficial for all skill levels.
Junior Daily Class
- Now is the time to learn! The instructors help the kids fall in love with golf. Clubs are provided in all classes.
- Today is the first day of the rest of your life! I encourage you to participate in a non- contact, leisure sport that will be outdoors, played at your level and bring enjoyment to all that you are with. Golf is proven to be excellent for Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and arthritis. If you have any of the above, come join us. If you do not have any of the above, come join us.
Ladies Only Class
- Girl’s timeout is found here. Your kindred spirits will laugh and cheer each other on as you improve in golf. You’ll learn how this sport does not require strength and how similar it is to dancing. The many myths of golf will be dissolved, and you will experience the joys of golf as it was meant to be played.
Family Golf Class
- Everyone is together, and all ages are welcome.The first hour is focused on the basics in the practice area. The second hour is enjoyed on the course, playing with the pro and learning as you go. $200 per 4 people and $50 per add-on. Videos and photos recording wonderful memories will be sent to you.
Family Golf School
- This three-day golf school is designed for togetherness, memories and developing golfers of all skill levels. Videos and photos recording wonderful memories will be sent to you. Two hours of instruction per day, unlimited practice and nine holes of golf per day. Scheduling is flexible to fit in with the demands of your vacation. $1,300 with a six-person maximum.
- This is a great class to start. The instructor will be patient and nurturing. You will be introduced to putting, full swing, etiquette and course rules. You will leave confident and ready to play.
Back to Basics
- Putting, chipping, pitching and full swing. Regardless of your skill level, you will improve by fine-tuning your FUN-damentals!
- Monday and Tuesday from 5:15-6 p.m. Parent participation is encouraged, and clubs are included. Learn songs that focus on instruction, rhythm and a love for the game.
In addition, the Adaptive Golf Association is an organization dedicated to providing individuals with physical, cognitive or sensory impairments with the needed resources to learn, play and enjoy the game of golf while enhancing their lives.
We have golf professionals trained in adaptive golf, offering lessons and clinics to enhance the lives of anyone, including veterans, adults and juniors.
Stay cool, hydrate and make the most of every moment on the course in August. I hope to see you out on the green!
A former PGA Tour pro and member of the local golf Hall of Fame, Doug Weaver is the Director of Instruction at the Palmetto Dunes Golf Academy. He conducts “Where Does the Power Come From?”, a free clinic and demonstration, every Monday at 4 p.m. (843) 785-1138, (800) 827-3006 or palmettodunes.com.